Saturday, August 25, 2007

10framesasecond: Step 3 - adding a blog page

Next thing I though would be good for the site is to add a little blog page that I could use to get the latest news out to visitors, like what new events have been posted, any promotions I'm running, etc. And if any of my clients are 'geeky' enough they could subscribe to an RSS feed of the page so they wouldn't have to check my page to see if anything is changed.
Wordpress software is part of the Linux server hosting package I picked up from GoDaddy.com. While I have never used it before I had heard from more than one source that it's pretty powerful as far as what you could do with it and, key for me, is that you could design your own templates for it to give it your own unique look. This was just what I was looking for since I wanted the user experience to remain consistent throughout my site.
Installation was a snap GoDaddy's Metropolis application made it basically a click to install process and once it was installed on the server I just assigned it a URL, pointed my browser there boom, I had a blog!
Setting up the templates was a bit easier than Exposure Manager, it was obvious that wordpress is much more mature in the area of user customization than Exposure Manager. The Style.css file for word press is huge by comparison and the App is VERY customizable. Since I'm just using it for getting news out I didn't need all the functionality so I didn't bother working on comment sections or anything and just based my disign off the default template that was tweaked to use my Header, body, and footer background images and I was up and running.
As much as I like how super user friendly VOX and Blogger are, I can't help but think to move my family blog over to wordpress running on my server. I think security against obsolesence (or backruptcy) is what I'm paranoid of. I know Blogger is run by Google which I don't think is going to be going out of business anytime soon but I can't imagine what I'd do if I lost ten years worth of family memories due to some companies poor business decisions.

No comments: