Tuesday, November 6, 2007

First run with the 'Big Gun'

Shoot my first game with my new toy, the Canon 300mm 2.8L. Man is it a beast, luckily I already had a monopod that I and been using with my 300mmF4L IS so that helped a lot.
The lens, even with the Monopod was a bear to handle on the field, I could really see the motion in the viewfinder as I tracked subjects but wide open in the Arizona Daylight I was shooting about 1/5000s @ISO 200 which should be more than enough to counter act any camera motion.
Now I knew this lens was sharp ( I rented one a year or so ago) but looking at my images of the day I was still floored by the resolving power of this lens. Check out the shot below:

Heres the full image of one of the shots I took that day, even in the lightroom grid view I could tell that the images were more 'crisp' that those of my F4, zooming in I could really notice the resolving power of this lens - check it out.
This is a 100% crop of the image above, There are some .jpg artifacts that occurred in the conversion process, but you can still see the eyelashes in the runner (raw looks even better) I used to thing it was amazing to see the writing on the football in a shot, now I can read the fine print of the warning labels that are on the back of each of the helmets the boys wear.
Needless to say I am very pleased with the images this lens produced. Was it worth it? Jury's still out there - the cost (even used) is hard to swallow - especially since I already have the F4 version. But buyers remorse soon wears off and once it does the only thing I'll know about is how awesome this lens is.

No comments: