Thursday, November 11, 2010

DIY Pocket wizard Pre-trigger cable - Saved $70


DYI CM-N3-ACC, originally uploaded by photogeek21.

Been playing with a set of Flex TT5's and wanted to explore using the PW to remotely trigger the shutter but when I went to buy one, I found the $95 price tag just to much to swallow.
Well, internet to the rescue, I found a great writeup on the Canon NC3 connector which my 5dmkII uses for remote shutter here.
All I needed to do is figure out the right pins for the 1/8" stereo plug on the PW side. A little time with PW and an ohm meter I eventually figured it out.
The donor for the NC3 connector was a cheap Ebay remote trigger. A trip to radio shack and a couple bucks got me the 1/8" plug. All in, about $20. Works like a charm. Below is the pinout for anyone that feels handy with a soldering iron or if not, I did eventually find them for about $26 at Flashzebra.com.


1/8" Stereo plug pinout for Flex TT5

4 comments:

Bernard said...

Hi, i just found your comment and it´s great to see that i´m not alone. I just did one with one mono jack and i realized that on pocketwizard said that it wont trigger with the TTL funtion an less your cable it´s with a stereo jack.

Did you try to trigger it with several Flex TT5. I just configured my FlexTT5 for trigger the camera and also the flash, but it doesn´t work on TTL mode.

Perhaps my diagrams are wrong. I will change the pinout of the stereo jack and will cross my fingers :). Did you use shoot the flash with TTL mode?.

Unknown said...

Haven't tried it in TTL mode (or in with any flash attached) I've only used it as a remote trigger for the camera so far. I photograph a lot of shooting sports so I use remote camera's down range where it's too dangerous to stand and photograph the competetors.

tad_2358 said...

Hi, did you try to fire camera shutter via Flex TT5? I tried to do it several times without success. I also found, via ohm meter, that you're right with this 1/8" Stereo plug pinout for Flex TT5. Many other posts says that pinouts apart ground are exchanged, shutter at the end of the plug. That's why I ask if it works. Anyway very nice blog, regards from Poland. Tad

Unknown said...

Tad- Yep, that's exactly what I use it for - I use the TT5 to fire the shutter on cameras I have put in remote locations. One Flex TT5 on the camera and one in my hand. I've used this set up successfully on a 5dmkii, 1dmkii and my old 10D.