Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 Lesson Learned: 001

Flex TT5 and the Canon 550ex


While this flash is supposed to work better (at longer ranges) with the Flex TT5 compared to the new 580exII. I found it to be quite a bit more finicky than the 580exIIs. At least with my flash, the Flex can lock up the flash so bad, it stops functioning all together even pressing the pilot button won't fire the flash. The only way to get it to work again is to remove the batteries from the flash. I have a theory that it may be due to interruption in communication between the flex and the flash. As the lock up condition is pretty consistent if I don't follow the specific power sequence as follows:

  • Turn on the camera mounted TT5

  • Turn on the remote TT5

  • Turn on the camera

  • Turn on the flash


This sequence (which is in the owner's manual - go figure RTFM) seems to produce consistent results with the 550ex. My 580exIIs don't seem to care how I turn of the equipment.

1 comment:

havoc said...

Two things...
1) I'm glad you (may) have it figured out.
2) I'm glad you figured it out and told me (and others) before I bought the equipment and got frustrated.

Looking forward to your continued *success*!