Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Boy this is getting too easy...


2009241_STYFL_35 Pano 2, originally uploaded by photogeek21.

One simple image? Maybe, but it chock full of technologies that made it so.
First off, I shot this at ISO 800 and while that's not considered extreme by today's standards, I wouldn't have dared shoot above ISO 400 on my old D30 for fear of noise. Todays sensors are just amazing, I never bothered installing any of the noise cancelling software when I last upgraded my computer - there just isn't a need anymore.
Next, my image stabilized (IS) lens let me shoot this at 1/20th of a second, handheld. The ability of IS to increase the range of handheld shots is reaching 4 stops, letting my F4 lens shoot in conditions that would have required an F1.0 lens without IS.
Finally, the panorama was autostitched from 3 images using Photoshop CS4 in about 5mins without any interaction from me. Gone are the days of using PTGui and picking control points, blending exposures by hand and cloning seams where the images overlapped. CS4s tool is the first automatic tool I've used that really works.
People who are getting into photography today probably don't reallize how good they got it. I still remember having to FOCUS a camera and use a manual light meter - abilities not needed today. I don't think that makes me any better as a photographer - on the contrary, I think getting all that technical hinderance out of the way lets more people 'get the shot' and concentrate on the art not the science.

No comments: